Friday, September 3, 2010

The Story of The One-Legged Blogger Begins

Once upon a time, a little over two months ago, and two weeks after the Wellness committee at my workplace began a holistic health drive in the form of a company-wide competition called 'The Game-On Challenge' (more on this at a later date) my left knee became as swollen as a watermelon! As part of the competition, I'd set two main goals; 
1) to lose 10lbs over 3 months and 
2) to run a 5K race in 24 minutes or less. This would have been a 90 second improvement on my previous best time. 
There was no sudden impact, fall or strain that brought on the swelling, I awoke one morning and there it was, this melon on my knee! So what did I do? I had set myself a goal to run faster and lose weight, what was I to do with a melon on one leg, the additional water weight and lots of pain? I'll tell you what I did. I waited a few days for the swelling to go down, then ran in the cross-country 5K series in Boonton NJ
Hey my goals are important to me!
Jumping forward in time and four 5K races later, an MRI done on my leg revealed a torn meniscus that needed attention. 
Well my knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus is behind me now (as of 11:00am this morning when I got home). It went well, I don't need crutches thank goodness, but my left leg now feels like a piece of 4x4 wood attached to my hip!  And I have to rely on my chauffeur (aka my wife Faye) to drive me to Verona on Labor Day. I hope I can be there to help in my Essex Running Club's annual 5K fundraiser, in whatever way I can! I don't plan to, in any way, resemble a couch potato! 
The Suntrust Richmond Marathon is on Nov 11, 2010 and I plan to be at the start line for my 12th marathon... Although I have settled into my favorite chair with foot atop multiple cushions placed on the coffee table. I'll keep the time watching TV down to approx one hour/day (0 hours so far!) I've got 3 books lined up to read and of course there's always relationship building on Facebook and blogging! What do you think? I know I am blessed. This brace on my leg will slow me down for 14 days, but it certainly won't stop me. There are just so many things that will keep me busy. I've talked about blogging for over a year, now it is time to blog!
So I'm counting my blessings not my cares, since I cannot bend my left leg and have to keep it elevated, I can start my new passion - on one leg. I'll be writing about things I am passionate about and we can see where we coincide. I made a list today. Please join me in this journey of passion. 
Btw the goals I set for the Game-On Challenge? I'm proud to say that I lost 10.8lbs and hit 24 minutes 11seconds for my 5K woo-hoo! The overall team results will be released next week and my team-mates & I are looking well positioned to win! Of course I'll keep you informed.


"Renew your passions daily." ~Terri Guillemets


Be well,
PeaceWarrior.

No comments:

Post a Comment